Anniversary Ticker

Monday, April 19, 2010

these are the days it never rains but it pours...

Amarillo...where to begin? So last Wednesday Ad Club went to Amarillo for our competition that we have worked so hard for. It was a fun and eventful drive up there. About 30 min outside of Lubbock we stopped in Post to make sure we all met up for lunch. While we were waiting Sadie rolled down Travis's back window and it fell and wouldn't roll back up. Now it is pretty funny, but then not so much. It was pretty cold outside and a little rainy. So I followed Travis to the ford dealer while the others went on to meet us for lunch when we were done. We pulled into the dealer, Travis went up and got the guy and he walked up and pressed the button and it rolled up. Really truck? Really? lol. So we moved on and headed to Spanky's for lunch. It was really really good.

We got to Amarillo about two and half hours later. Should have been three, but there was zero traffic and we were making really awesome time. Got there and I am still confused on how we got to the hotel, but we did and we beat Travis. How on earth did that happen? He was flying man. At that point it started raining...and continued to rain the whole trip.

We checked in and got comfortable for like two seconds. We set up our PowerPoint and what do you know? Our videos didn't play. We didn't have a Mac and that is all they would play on. Worked at the school, but wouldn't work on my computer. We were freaking out, but didn't have time to deal with it because we had to go to orientation, which seriously took forever. Got to see all the schools that were there...TSU, SMU, Baylor, Sam, A&M just to name a few. So after that we ordered pizza and started to panic a little bit. Videos weren't working at all and no one knew how to fix it. So each one of us posted shout outs on our Facebook status to anyone in Amarillo who had a Mac. Tyler ended up remembering two friends from high school who could fix it. So Tyler and Travis went to meet these guys and took my computer with them. While two of our men presenters were gone, Anna-Marie, Brad, Sadie and I ran lines. We were getting pretty nervous. I was not a presenter, but I did write the script and I coached them. So I would say I was pretty nervous...maybe not as much as the presenters, but a good amount.

They ended up fixing the computer just in time! It was around 10:40ish or later at the point. I really wanted the presenters to be in bed by 10 since we had to be up at 4:30am in order to present at 7:30am. Yeah that didn't happen. We had to make some changes to the PowerPoint, which Anna-Marie did all of it, while Sadie and I fought away sleep. Finally went to be at 12:30ish. I woke up at 3:50am and started to get ready. I woke the presenters up at 5am and got them going. They all ran lines while getting dressed and ready to go. They all looked so nice.





At 6:50am we all went down there and practiced some more with PowerPoint. It was 7:20am when the doors opened. I just about fell out of my chair I was so nervous. I knew the presenters could do it. They knew their lines and had been practicing for more than a week. They started at 7:30am and freakin rocked it!! I think out of all 10 pages of the script only one line was missed and that is really really good. They did so great!!! I mean seriously they were amazing!!! So proud!

It was over! We went upstairs and changed. I went and had breakfast with Brad, Tyler and Travis. It was pretty good. After that I met up with Anna-Marie and Sadie and we spent the rest of the day watching all the other schools. Find out that while we were at lunch SFA went. We missed it. Guess what their campaign was? WTF!!!!! NOT LYING!!!! We were pretty upset. Not at them, but at our stupid department and dang Smith for making us change it and calling us idiots. They owe us an apology. And we will get one.

Anyway we had an hour before the big dinner where you find out how everyone placed. Anna-Marie, Sadie and I tried to take a nap. They were successful, however every time I would get to a good place one of the boys would knock on the door. Silly boys.

We went to dinner and there was this speaker that either had nothing to do with what our competition revolved around or we were just to stupid to understand him. I'm pretty sure we are all really smart. Just saying. After he was finished they finally got to the awards!! "Congratulations to Angelo State University!" We freakin got 3rd runner up!!! That is the highest ASU has ever placed. I think we deserved better, but hey that is still really awesome! It was such an exciting moment! I am so proud of the presenters and the team! JASON B. STEELE IS OUR HERO!!! (you would have to be in ad club to understand, however please check out his website at http://www.jasonbsteele.com/ ) you can also see the website he created for us at www.jasonbsteele.com/asu-what )


That night (the dinner ending about 10 something or later can't even remember) we were all going to go out, however Anna-Marie, Sadie and I were all dead tired. We just couldn't do it.

We woke up and were downstairs for breakfast at 7 am. Didn't start until 8, but we had our reasons. We ended up having to leave the breakfast early because once again they had a speaker who took forever. We were on the road by 9 or 9:30ish and got home around 2:30 or 3. All in all it was a great great great trip! Gotta love Ad Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment